Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Movie review of Om Shanti Om - a dud



OM SHANTI OM
Rating: Avoid it if you can!
Cast:
Shahrukh Khan - Om Kapur aka OK / Om Prakash Makhija
Deepika Padukone - Sandy / Shantipriya
Kirron Kher - filmyMA
Shreyas Talpade
Javed Sheikh
(Mis?)Directed by:Farah Khan

Om Shanti Om, the most hyped movie of recent times, was at last released yesterday. And alas I was among the unfortunate lot who saw the film first day.

Midway through the film, I was really wondering what it was all about and what the hell I was doing in there. I have not seen a worse film since I saw Big B's Mrityudata, first day first show.

The story of the film? Probably, by now you have heard about it from your friends, neighbours etc. etc. as the movie opened to a 98%+ occupancy. In a single line the story can be summed up as Karz. And mind it, Karz was a far far better made film.

SRK has a younger look in the film. Deepika Padukone is really the Dreamy Girl and has all it takes to be next super star, although I am not sure about her acting capabilities. To be fair to her, this film does not require her to act. The rest of the cast is as (in)competent as the script (not sure if Farah had one) demands.

The high points of the film are some spoofs on the film industry. I particularly like the part which I believe is aimed at Rajnikanth, where SRK fights a stuffed tiger in a red cowboy attire.

Overall, this intended celebration of 70's fails miserably. Probably, after Big B did Ramu Ki Aag, SRK thought why he should lag behind. And the resultant film is Om Shanti Om.

My advise would be to avoid it if you can. i suddenly feel pitty for all those guys who write reviews for a living. Now I can understand what kind of torture you have to suffer and you cannot even pen down your true feelings, if it's a Rajnikanth (e.g. Shivaji) or SRK (OSO) movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share